Banbridge Ladies Hockey Club fully integrate into Banbridge Hockey Club
Banbridge Hockey Club and Banbridge Ladies Hockey Club will from the start of next season play under the unified name of Banbridge Hockey Club. At two historic AGM’s on Monday night, Banbridge Hockey Club agreed new rules to allow for the ladies teams to play under the name whilst the Ladies Club passed a motion in favour of full integration with the Men’s club.
Outgoing President of Banbridge Hockey Club Jonto Walker stated; “This is a positive move for both clubs. We have been working for some time on a possible amalgamation and I am delighted that formal agreement has now been reached. Banbridge Hockey Club is one of the most successful clubs on theislandofIrelandand we firmly believe that this development will strengthen the club further.”
Alison Wilson, immediate Past President of Banbridge Ladies added; “While it is sad to see the official end of Banbridge Ladies Hockey Club after 67 years, we recognise that there are many benefits in integrating with the men’s club. Banbridge Ladies has just completed our most successful season in recent history with all three Senior Teams gaining promotion in their respective leagues, our Junior Club is thriving and was recently awarded ‘Clubmark’ status. We look forward to building on this further with the combined ambition and expertise within Banbridge Hockey Club in this new era”.
At the Annual General Meeting, Neil Madeley was elected as new President of Banbridge Hockey Club with Sheree Totton as Vice-President.
Commenting on his election Mr Madeley stated; “This is an historic moment for BHC and it is an honour to be elected as President of the Club. While the new set up will present challenges, I look forward to taking the Club forward at this time and chairing our newly elected Executive Committee. I would like to thank all of those who were involved in the amalgamation committee in getting us to this point.”
Mr Madeley added; “This merger will increase our capacity to drive success in the Men’s, Ladies and Junior sections. We aim to further develop the club as the premier integrated, family oriented, hockey club in Ireland offering an attractive sporting and social environment for all players, to be competing at the highest possible level of Irish hockey in both the men’s and ladies sections and to offer the highest standard of coaching and technical support for all our players.”
Notes to Editors:
- Banbridge Hockey Club members accepted new rules and a constitution that would allow the ladies club members to become members of BHC and serve on the Executive Committee from 25th June 2012. A new governing structure has been established and an Executive Committee was elected.
- Banbridge Ladies Hockey Club members agreed at their Annual General Meeting on 25th June 2012 to formally dissolve the club and that all current members of Banbridge Ladies Hockey Club be incorporated into BHC.
- The newly elected Executive Committee of Banbridge Hockey Club is as follows: President –Neil Madeley; Vice-President – Sheree Totton; Immediate Past President – Jonto Walker; Honorary Secretary – John Bell; Honorary Treasurer – Lee Tumilty; Executive Committee members: Nigel Allister, Douglas Anderson, Julie Craig, Patrick Grimes, Aileen Lawson, Jo-Anne Lyttle, Alison Wilson.
- Banbridge District Council has also supported this development. Gillian Dewart, Sports Development Officer, Banbridge District Council said; “The integration of Banbridge Ladies and Men’s Hockey Clubs is a welcomed development in the sports club infrastructure in the district. Working together as one club presents an excellent opportunity to strengthen the sport of hockey in Banbridge.”
- For media queries please contact Aileen Lawson on 07718898013 or email@example.com